Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Trip to Boston

I went to Boston a couple of weekends ago. My cousin and her husband live there. My brother who lives in Omaha came too so we all had a great time. I have a pretty small family and there are only six cousins on my dad's side. We are all still really close, which is nice, especially considering I will probably be single for the rest of my life and will need them to keep me company (and empty my bed pan).

I had been to Boston once before so we didn't have to squeeze in a bunch of tourist stuff. We went to my cousin's school to see where she teaches a bunch of middle school boys at a private Catholic school. I wish I could watch her teach. A Southern Belle (she's from Texas) with remnants of her slow drawl teaching a bunch of Catholic Irish and Italian-Americans with Bah-ston accents. I hear they love to say, "y'all" like a true Texan.

We also went to Mt. Auburn Cemetery, the country's first "garden" cemetery. It was founded in 1831 and more than 90,000 people are buried here including Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Mary Baker Eddy, Winslow Homer, B.F. Skinner and Isabella Stewart Gardner. It was amazing.



I, of course, had to go the the Boston Museum of Fine Art. I have absolutely no artistic talent, but I love art. Not modern art, but fine European art. If I lived in London, my butt would be planted at the Tate Gallery every day (mostly staring at The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse, my all-time favorite painting). Boston's MFA has some good stuff too (for an American museum, ho hum) like: John Singer Sargent's Daughters of Edward Darley Boit and Pierre Auguste Renoir's Dance at Bougival. I could have stayed longer, but my brother was with us and he was starting to twitch after about 45 minutes so we thought we ought to get out of there before he started crying. Not everyone enjoys art museums, can you believe it???



Of course we had our usual drinking activities, but we behaved ourselves rather well I think. No broken bones, tears or fist fights over politics. Amazing really considering my cousin is a staunch Republican (poor uninformed, close-minded girl, I weep for you) and my brother and I are...well...not.




Overall, I spent way too much money, drank too much wine (okay beer because I can't stand wine) and spent way too much time in an airport. But I loved every minute of it (but still couldn't wait to come home and get back in my comfort zone).

1 comment:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

You just went to my old neighborhood (almost!). I lived on Cape Cod for 26 years and often took the train to Boston.

I got to see the Rembrandt's Journey exhibit when it was at MFA a few years ago.I also LOVE, LOVE your London pics, another one of my favorite cities.