Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 1: Monkey Chunks

So day 1 of vacation to Texas started out blowing monkey chunks. I had to wake up at 6:10 a.m. Six, combined with the letters A & M, and I do not mix. In fact, I routinely roundhouse kick 6 a.m. in the face every time I see it.

Alas, waking up at the butt-crack of dawn was not to be the worst part of the day. Little did we know that near Paul's Valley, Oklahoma, a construction zone was to be our downfall. Dad was driving (very intelligently I might add) and had slowed to about 20 mph as cars were starting to back up when it got down to one lane. All of the sudden he yells, "Oh shit!" and then "BAM!" We got rear-ended. Luckily we weren't the first car hit, but the second. A girl driving a Firebird (entirely too fast) apparently wasn't paying attention (texting is my guess) and rammed into a small pickup truck, which then rammed into us.

No injuries in our car except I hit my head on the head rest. I was just damn happy that my dogs were okay. Had the girl hit us directly I think the story would have been much different. As it was, my dad had to help the girl out of her completely totaled Firebird and she was pretty much in hysterics. The man in the truck had a really bad headache. Both went to the hospital in an ambulance. An hour and a half later and we were on the road again, more than a little anxious about the wheel well damage rubbing on the rear tire.

A 7-hour drive was turned into a 9-hour drive. But everyone was okay so that's the important thing. Here are some pictures my dad took. The next time I'm in a wreck remind me to take the pictures. Dad never got a picture of the entire scene or the truck that hit us. Duh. Our car doesn't look too bad but the estimates we got this week put repairs at about $6800.







2 comments:

Linda said...

Intectually, I'm really happy the five of us were OK (3 people, 2 dogs) and the other two people weren't seriously injured...but I'm still pissed off about my car.

Linda said...

well it would have been a whole lot better if I wouldn't have mistyped intellectually