Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 5: Highway to Hell

The morning we left Texas started out well. Breakfast at the restaurant (pancakes-Yum!) and more chatting with family. Time to go found us packing into the car (literally) since we had to take Josh to the airport. Mom and I and both dogs crammed into the backseat for the 1.5 hour drive to the airport. Oh, scratch that, the 2.5 hour drive to the airport. Bumper to bumper traffic FOREVER. Josh's flight left at 3:45; we got him to the airport at 3:20. He was getting a bit stressed.

After an emergency bathroom break (Dad did just turn 60 after all) we were on our way. Or so we thought. More bumper to bumper traffic all the way through the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and beyond. I thought aliens had landed south of Dallas and the residents were making a mass exodus out of the city (think Cloverfield or War of the Worlds).
So, a seven hour drive became a 9.5 hour drive. Wonderful.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I just typed a long comment, pressed enter and it took me back to a blank comment screen. That irritates me. But, not as much as traffic. It sounds like the drive home was one of the worst ones ever. And, that's after a horrible drive down there. I don't think you can even call that a vacation. Makes me not want to drive in that vicinity EVER. Okay, please don't erase, please don't erase. . okay, ENTER

Linda said...

It really was the drive from hell. Even I thought the traffic was horrific. It was way worse than Boston or Denver.