Monday, January 12, 2009

I Hate Cancer


Did you know that 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer by the time they are 80 years old? In 2008, an estimated 182,460 new cases of breast cancer were diagnosed in the U.S. Good news though: deaths from breast cancer have been declining since 2001, and there are over 2.5 million breast cancer survivors living in the U.S.

My aunt was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and goes in for a double mastectomy tomorrow in Fort Worth, Texas. Her doctor caught the malignant tumor very early, and the hope is that surgery will remove the cancer, plus prevent any recurrence. I have no doubt that my aunt will come through this with her normal wit and charm. I just want her to know that I am thinking about her and hope her surgery goes as planned. And, once she gets her implants when she goes back in for reconstructive surgery, we can compare!

Also, keep in your thoughts/prayers/positive waves a fellow blogger who's mother was just diagnosed with cancer for the second time.

2 comments:

Kim said...

We will pray for her.

Shea said...

Thanks Kerry. I'll be praying for your aunt as well.