Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thirty Things You Ought To Know By The Time You're Thirty

Jodi had a good idea for a post today so I'm stealing it. In honor of all of our friends who are turning the big 3-0 this year (how can I be this old?), here's a list of things you should know or know how to do by the time you're 30. I'm pretending I have until age 31 to figure some of these out. If I don't by then, I think it will be a lost cause. I'm highlighting the ones I know/do/whatever in purple.


1. To take your hat off while eating. (Although come to think of it, I never wear hats)
2. To bring a hostess gift. (Know and do are two different things though. Whoops)
3. Have a valid passport. (Although mine is expiring in 2009! Crap!)
4. How to make small talk. (I'm horrible at small talk)
5. Your credit score.
6. And your blood type.
7. How to do laundry.
8. And scramble eggs.
9. Your parents' birthdays.
10. How to drive a stick shift.
11. And order a bottle of wine. (Yeah um give me the one that tastes like kool-aid)
12. How to set up, and check, bank and credit card balances online.
13. How to wrap a gift. (Oh, but it's not going to be pretty)
14. Own a suitcase. (Not used nearly often enough)
15. Have a local florist, not 1-800 FLOWERS. (Only if you count Dillon's)
16. How to negotiate.
17. And compromise. (Yeah, it's called "My way or the highway"!)
18. How to jump a car/change a tire.
19. Have a retirement plan.
20. When to stop drinking. (Oh how I wish I'd learned this one a looong time ago)
21. How to file a complaint.
22. How to make a bed -- complete with hospital corners.
23. Own a pair of jeans you can wear out to dinner.
24. How to play a sport (excelling not required).
25. How much cologne is too much.
26. When you need a dinner reservation.
27. To tip the maid in a hotel.
28. To make exceptions for children, and seniors. (and sometimes stupid people if I'm feeling generous)
29. How to apologize.
30. How to give a good hug. (Still working on this one)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Funny that we both have 7 (although a different 7) that we need to work on. Not too bad, I guess.