Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Beautiful Soul

This is definitely a classic example of "bad things happening to good people." Heather is one of those people who just exudes "happiness". She is very genuine and real. She's a wonderful mother (to two beautiful children) and really seems to realize how precious life is. It's no wonder. She's been fighting Stage 4 Melanoma cancer since 2008. Tonight her friends and family threw a fundraiser for her to help raise money for all the costs associated with fighting her cancer for the second time. She travels to Nashville and Houston regularly for doctors' appointments. Heather is currently on a drug trial in Nashville and is on the drug Ro5, which is an experimental cancer drug, not yet FDA approved. She's already been on Interferon and Bio-chemotherapy. They didn't work. Heather is such an awesome individual. She has faith in God and yet can still say things like, "Cancer fucking sucks." This makes me smile. The fact that she can still have faith despite her fight against cancer at the young age of 31 amazes me. She knows she has a long fight ahead of her. She knows the odds. But, she also knows the rewards WHEN she wins the fight: a loving husband, two beautiful children and tons of loving family and friends. I don't know Heather well, and as bad at making friends as I am I may not ever know her as well as I may want to, but I want her to beat this cancer so badly I can taste it. This girl deserves to win. And she will.

Stephanie Bergmann from KSN news giving a welcome speech

The t-shirt table. Only $15 if you want one: http://www.youngcancermommy.com

The donation jar for the spaghetti dinner at less than an hour in

Live entertainment: "Jam something-or-other". Sorry boys, I can't remember your name



Ella, Heather's daughter, with her daddy Cody. Beautiful curls!

Blurry picture of Heather (and her enviously white, straight teeth)


Pretty good turnout (Yay!)

Shot of the kids' carnival games. Yeah, I set those up. Wonderful placement right?!?!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I hated that I couldn't make it. I'm so glad you went and that there was a good turnout of people to support Heather and her family. An amazing woman with an amazing story. . .she will win this thing!!!!